The onset of forehead wrinkles, crow’s feet and frown lines is a common problem for men and women as they age. Though these lines and wrinkles are just reminders of your maturity and wisdom, they can also make you appear tired and even angry. One way to treat these problem areas is with Botox, which is a quick and virtually painless treatment that can help you to look rested and rejuvenated.
What is Botox?
Botox is a form of Botulinum toxin that has been purified and diluted to be safe for cosmetic use.* Botulinum toxin is a muscle relaxant, and when administered in the form of Botox, can significantly ease the appearance of some wrinkles. *
Although Botox is a toxin, it is FDA-approved for frown line treatment, it is not believed to have caused serious side effects, and the treatment does not carry the same risks of infection that may be present with facelift surgery.*
How Botox Works?
When injected into facial muscles, the toxin temporarily blocks neuron activity, which prevents full muscle contraction.* Because the muscles can no longer contract, the appearance of wrinkles caused by facial movements like frowning, raising the eyebrows, or squinting is significantly reduced.*
Botox injections are an ideal solution for smoothing the skin between eyebrows, eliminating lines on the forehead, and reducing the appearance of crow’s feet around the eyes.*
What Botox Treats
We inject a small amount into the muscles that create the wrinkles.* This Botulinum derivative blocks the nerve impulses from reaching that area of the muscle and the contractions begin to weaken.* As the muscle weakens, the treated areas begin to relax and the wrinkles in the skin become less visible and often disappear altogether.*
Botox can be used to treat several types of wrinkles, including crow’s feet and frown lines.*
What are the Advantages of Botox?
- Fast and effective. A typical treatment will show improvement approximately after 4-7 days, and takes only 10-15 minutes to complete.*1
- Little discomfort – we take great care in administering these injections*
- There is no “down-time.” After the injections, you may resume normal activity or go back to work*
- Creates natural-looking outcomes without evidence that you’ve had work done*
- There is no decrease in sensation or numbness of treated areas*
- The effects of injections are reversible; lasting 3 to 9 months*1
- Repeated injections of upkeep treatments may cause a muscle memory response to develop, thus enhancing the effects.*
- A nonsurgical approach to treat wrinkles, which eliminates the need for anesthesia and long recovery times
References: 1. Botulinum Toxin. P K Nigam and Anjana Nigam. 2010